Item #: SCP-XXXX
Object Class: Keter
Special Containment Procedures: SCP-XXXX-A is kept at site-██ and must be kept inside a 5m x 5m x 5m cell with standard building installation to keep the interior warm according to its natural habit (20°C – 40°C) although it has been examined to survive comfortably at a maximum ten degree (10°C) difference. Personnel of level 2 security clearance or lower are NOT permitted access to SCP-XXXX-A's or B's containment cells. And anyone of higher clearance or D-Class personnel given authorised access must undergo a pat down search by on site security before entry to SCP-XXXX-A's cell as well as x-ray and blood tested after exit from SCP-XXXX-A's containment cell, personnel who have exited either SCP's cells must be quarantined for at least five (5) hours twenty-four (24) hours and given a psychological analyses at four (4) hour intervals until level 5 personnel deem the person(s) uninfected. See OUTBREAK log for further details.
SCP-XXXX-B's are to be contained in individual cells in close proximity to but not inside of SCP-XXXX's containment cell. Any and all experiments involving either SCP's are to be monitored by at least two level 4 or higher personnel. When testing is done SCP-XXXX-B is to be terminated and its remains cremated.
In addition twenty-six (26) on-site security guards must maintain a presence around SCP-XXXX-A's and B's containment cells and every one of three must be armed with a flame-thrower. CCTV cameras must be installed and maintained in all cells relating to both variants of SCP-XXXX.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If either SCP-XXXX-A or B show intent of forming SCP-XXXX-C or D or any other god-forsaken variant other than A or B than report it to level 4 or higher personnel immediately. DO NOT ENGAGE without authorisation from level 4 or higher personnel and DO NOT ENGAGE if the only thing you are armed with is a standard pistol or a knife.
Description: SCP-XXXX refers to a fungus and parasite hybrid that will attempt to assimilate and colonise any organic life that has a brain and a spinal column within its line of sense and reach. SCP-XXXX-A was found in numerous countries in South America and Asia in high dense forest regions or derelict homes near a forest. It has been also found growing in cities in areas that are usually damp and warm within close proximity to humans.
SCP-XXXX-A is the fungus and parasite hybrid. The fungus is dark green in colour similar to moss but upon closer examination, depending on its size and maturity, has pink, thin tendrils that tend to twitch and wriggle as if mimicking a worm on the surface, all of the fungi's colonies have small, light-green fleshy scabs that explode either when touched or when it has reached maximum growth (four (4) centimetres) releasing green spores, which carry the parasite, into the air that are five-thousandths (0.005) of a centimetre in diameter. The fungus has been observed to “absorb” nutrients from other living organisms that are unfortunate enough to touch it. Once the organism has touched any part of its “body” the fungus will grab the organism using its tendrils and tear at its skin making open wounds before either trapping the victim more and absorb it or exploding its scabs releasing the spores over the immediate area and into the organism.
Rate of Infection
Once the spores have been inhaled, ingested or exposed to an open wound SCP-XXXX will begin assimilating by making its way to the brain.
- Assimilation: From five (5) to twenty-four (24) hours the subject will experience paralysis and numbness throughout the body. X-rays have shown that the parasite burrows into the brain. Other tests have shown that the parasite intercepts signals within the brain, causing the host to lose control of various body functions such as arm movement. ADDITION: As observed in tests and in one Outbreak SCP-XXXX is capable of rapid assimilation, in which it takes between one (1) minute to one (1) hour at the risk of severely damaging the host's nervous system.
- Colonisation: The subject's nervous system is under the control of SCP-XXXX. Subjects have little to no control over their own bodies movement, though they are conscious throughout their time as a host and have been known to speak while they are the host. SCP-XXXX begins utilising the host's body as a means to spread, support and defend their colonies and SCP-XXXX-A.
- ADDITIONAL: Collection/Merge: SCP-XXXX-A's or SCP-XXXX-B's merge to form a bigger colony. In the case of two SCP-XXXX-A's merging or SCP-XXXX-A and B they (SCP-XXXX-A) simply become larger than they (it) were (was). This is acceptable as long as SCP-XXXX-A does not exceed or outgrows its cell. However when two or more SCP-XXXX-B's merge they will create SCP-XXXX-C or SCP-XXXX-D which under no circumstances is allowed. See OUTBREAK log for why.
NOTE: The host of SCP-XXXX-A are to be referred to as SCP-XXXX-B or hosts on formal reports and conversation. Alternate terms such as Drones, Lichen or Parasichen to refer to the latter are acceptable but terms such as; Zombies, Ghouls or Moss-men are unacceptable and anyone repeating them will be disciplined. In addition anyone speaking of SCP-XXXX-C and or SCP-XXXX-D that is outside of professional measures, or referring to either as the “Brute” and the “Titan” will be met with disciplinary action.
SCP-XXXX-B have the following physical features:
- Dark green fungus protruding and growing from spontaneous wounds on the skin
- Thin, pink tendrils/tentacles protruding from strategic positions on the host (the tips of the fingers or around the torso and mouth on human hosts)
- Light green scabs covering over 40% - 70% of the body that explode when SCP-XXXX-B is close to uninfected individuals or is about to expire
- Hosts bodies that have been exposed for longer than three months are often deformed or disproportionate
OUTBREAK LOG: 07/00/2014
Cause: Infected D-class personnel took longer than expected to be assimilated. At the time there were no in depth quarantine procedures to deal with persons after exposure to SCP-XXXX-A.
Description: Two D-class personnel went through the standard quarantine procedures at the time and passed. After a time of eight (8) hours after standard quarantine procedures had elapsed the infected D-class began showing limited signs of the later stages of assimilation. Once the assimilation process had resolved, SCP-XXXX-B-1 and SCP-XXXX-B-2 started biting and attempting to infect other personnel. At peak time they had infected an estimate of three-quarters (¾) of the on-site personnel. CCTV had revealed previously unnoticed habits and behaviour of SCP-XXXX. When numbers of SCP-XXXX-B reached twenty (20); two or more of SCP-XXXX-B began merging to form either SCP-XXXX-C or SCP-XXXX-D. Both were taller and stronger than their SCP-XXXX-B counterparts.
Resolve: Two field Agents dispatched to contain SCP-XXXX noticed that SCP-XXXX is intolerant to fire and requested that Task Forces and Response Teams be armed with flame-throwers and other flame based weapons. SCP-XXXX was successfully contained.